The Depot in Dwight, IL

The growth of the Keeley Cure Company brought an increase in rail traffic from around the country.  A larger depot was needed.  The original depot, built in 1854, was a one and one-half story frame structure measuring 16’ X 24’.  The new depot was designed by Chicago architect Henry Ives Cobb, who had also designed buildings at the University of Chicago: the Newberry Library and the Chicago Post Office.

Built in 1891, the depot was designed in the Richardson Romanesque style, measuring 75’ X 25’ surrounded by an 18’ concrete platform.  The foundation is Joliet stone and the building is made of Bedford bluestone from Indiana.  Gables extend from each side with four double hung windows on the ground floor.  The second story features two coupled windows with a fanlight over each one.  The stone above the fanlight has DWIGHT carved in it.  Each gable has a Quatrefoil ornament on top.

The interior consisted of a waiting room at each end and the ticket office in the center.  Each waiting room had a fireplace. One fireplace still exists.

The building currently houses the Dwight Historical Society Museum and office of the Dwight Area Chamber of Commerce.

The Dwight Depot, placed on the “National Register of Historic Places” on December 27, 1982, is one of only a few remaining railroad stations between Chicago and St. Louis featuring the architectural design of the 1880’s.


Comments are closed